Monday, August 11, 2008

Powder Horn

This weekend was fantastic, although, I did have to be away from Bree for 3 nights without cell service for the first time since we got married. I went to Powder Horn, a high adventure training camp for venturer scouting.

DAY 1
We arrived and got assigned to a crew of about 6 people. We had about 50 total in camp. We then went to a cope course teaching us group problem solving strategies. Then down to the cliffs for some repelling and climbing.
It got a rainy towards the end of the day, so we just did some indoor training.
DAY 2
We did a lot of outdoor training today, starting with Geo Caching. This is basically a compass course done with GPS. I had the great experience of being the one who found the cache out of about 20 people in my group.













Afterwards, we were trained on outdoor plants and basic wilderness survival. Then we were able to learn how to fly fish and actually got to tie some flies. I just didn't get any pictures of that.

DAY 3
This was a great day of weaponry. We began with shotgun shooting which I was able to hit 4 of my 5 clay pigeons. After that we went on to shoot air rifles and pistols followed by 22 rifles. I thought my grouping turned out really good.
















After lunch we were able to start with 22 hand guns, then on to archery. This was my best moment. We were shooting at about 30 feet and I had a great round. I also had the opportunity to witness a guy named, Bob, in my crew splitting an arrow. It was amazing. Of course we ended with black powder rifles, a first for me.

















Overall, I had a great week. I love the outdoors and I am looking forward to week #2 at the end of August. Until then, happy trails.


4 comments:

Jenny said...

Looks like a LOT of fun. I think I need some training!!!

vinestreet said...

hey you guys---

I think it is so neat how many things you do together, how many places you go. It is really remarkable. Bree, what you said about being able to see another part of Travis's life in the other post you did, struck a chord in me.

Kristen (and Perry, and girls)

Jen said...

Bree,
I can't believe you have a blog. I hope you don't mind me dropping by to see what you have been up to. Just so you know I am adding you to my blog list so I can keep track of you. You look great that is for sure. Hopefully we can stay in touch.

Nicole Mecham said...

It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! That is something I would have love to have done. By the way.. Jack loves the music on your blog. He started dancing around the room as soon as it came on. You have good taste in music I guess!