Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A First I Wish I'd Never Had . . .

Yesterday, I lost my first patient. I'm sure it's something than many PTs deal with on a regular basis. Especially those that are working in the hospital. However, this is my first. It's been an interesting experience for me. It has brought a lot of emotions that I'd never dreamed it would.

The news came yesterday at 11:00 AM. This was not an expected death--he was a healthy 40 year old male. He'd had surgery for a hiatal hernia on Friday. He died of currently unknown causes on Monday morning--he simply didn't wake up. I was seeing him for his knee, and he was nearing the completion of his rehab. He was a very happy, pleasant, and exhuberant man and had become a good friend of mine throughout the course of his therapy. We'd talked about his family, his job, and his love for life.

The thing that has struck me the hardest was how unexpected this was. I last saw this patient exactly one week ago. As he left he simply said, "You keep that pool warmed up for me, and I'll be back at it in a week." He had no idea that this was coming. It has made me reflect on my life . . . if I died unexpectedly tomorrow, would I be happy with the life I've lived? Would I change anything? Have I told those closest to me that I love them? Ultimately I think the answer is yes, but I think I'm going to savor each day a little more--make the most it. I'm going to try a little harder, and live a lot more.

3 comments:

erin and shaun said...

Hey Breeann- This really sucks and since I work in the ICUs frequently it happens all too often but I never get used to it. I've seen some pretty awful stuff, such as a wife running into the ICU 10 min. too late and breaking down in the middle of the hall! I'm sorry to hear about this and hope things get better soon!

Jenny said...

Wow. What a shock. It is good to have those moments sometimes so we can put our life into the right perspective. I think we get so busy we forget the simple things that are so important in our lives. Thanks for sharing.

Nick, Jess and Bridger said...

Oh Bree, I'm so sorry. It always strikes me hard when a pt dies, no matter what the situation.