Monday, March 26, 2012

Random Answers and Ramblings

So, I've been reading through the past several posts and realized that I have some things that I've left unanswered on the blog, or questions that I'd posted as a fear/thought. I thought it might be good now that I'm in the middle of things to look back and answer some of them:


Firstly, my genetic testing came back negative for both breast cancer genes! That was a huge relief. Megan (my sister) and Brielle are now at no increased risk than the general population for having breast cancer in their future. It gave me peace. It also indicates that I am now not at significantly increased risk for getting a separate cancer in my other breast. So, I decided only to do a unilateral mastectomy.


Now as for radiation. I will not have to do radiation after my chemo. Things looked great after surgery, indicating the cancer had not spread and was localized to the breast, so unless something changes radiation is not in my future.

My cancer was officially staged as 2A. Meaning my tumor was between 2-5cm and had not spread to the lymph nodes. Interestingly enough, this doesn't change my chemo treatment, just my prognosis with treatment. I often get the comment, well it was only stage 2. Yes, it was only stage 2 and my prognosis is one of a cure versus remission or prolonging life. For that I am so grateful for. However, it doesn't change the fact that my chemo treatment is just as aggressive if not more so (due to my age and the aggressiveness of my type of cancer) than someone with stage 4 cancer. I go through the same thing. Just an interesting fact.


Um, what else? Trav is handling things a day at a time AND DOING FABULOUS might I add. He is an amazing man and I'm lucky to have him. He is my strength through all of this. Not only that, but he has done an amazing job at fulfilling all of his various roles of caretaker, husband, daddy, student, employee, home janitor, cook, and so much more. The kids have actually handled this quite well. It has been a blessing. They seem to miss me when I'm sick or at work, and they are a little more clingy to Mommy on my good weeks, but overall, they have done amazing. I was nervous if they would recognize me without hair, but they didn't even skip a beat. I'm sure it had to do with the fact that they watched when we did it. In fact now they will pull my hat, scarf, or wig off whenever I get home. They are amazing kiddos. I love them so much.

Overall life is good. I've gone back to work and just take a couple of days off after chemo. It has worked well. I don't mind how I look with a bald head, but I'm just not quite confident enough to flaunt it everywhere. I rarely wear anything when I am at home. In public I prefer to wear a wig, but it is a little uncomfortable as it itches. The scarves are cute and I wear them around Wellsville when we go on walks or when we sit outside. It is fun to change it up. Bald is definitely the most comfortable though. Maybe one day I'll be confident enough to flaunt it. :). I have another chemo treatment on Wednesday. This will be number 3. I'm trying to mentally gear up for it. I still hate it though. At least March has gone by pretty quick so hopefully the next 3 months will go just as fast. I'm ready to move on and be done with all of this.

1 comments:

Allan said...

I'm glad you're doing so well. You're showing us how strong you are. You're in our prayers and we're keeping your name on the Denver Temple prayer roll.

Love, Uncle Allan