Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Empowered

Today I am empowered! I finally have a fairly set in stone treatment plan. I know what to expect for at least the next 6 months....and it feels GREAT! After having the last 4 weeks be an unknown I have such relief of finally knowing what is going to happen.

First, around 11:00 this morning I received the call that my lymph node biopsy results were back and that they were NEGATIVE! Best news I've received all year (so far anyway). This meant that as far as we know the cancer hasn't spread. There is still a chance of finding positive lymph nodes in the surgery, but for now I am going to relish in the knowledge that I don't have cancer circulating around my body.

At 11:45 I met with the medical oncologist Dr. Ali Ben-Jacob here in Logan. I was actually really impressed with him. I'd heard some people say that he wasn't really warm, but I found that he was very personable and I enjoyed talking with him. He answered all of my page of questions with honesty and compassion. I look forward to working with him.

So, here is my treatment plan:

January 23rd: Meet with plastic surgery
January 30th: Surgery Day with overnight stay in hospital
Approx. 3 weeks later: Surgery to insert the chemo port
Beginning of March: Start Chemo
Hair loss expected 2 weeks after my 1st chemo treatment
Chemo every two weeks for the next 16 weeks
June: Done with Chemo!

That is what we know right now. There will be 2 more surgeries for my breast reconstruction sometime after June and radiation will depend on finding postive lymph nodes during surgery.

I love being able to make a plan and prepare for things. There is no more unknown. Here's to kicking cancer's butt! Bring it on!

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I'm glad you feel better, or at least empowered. Not knowing what is going to happen is frustrating! Thank you for sharing your experience...

Sam and Lacey said...

You amaze me. And I love you. :-)

On a totally different note, I always thought I wanted my twins to be the same gender, but after seeing how completely adorable yours are, I want two just like yours. We'll see what I end up with. :-)

Sara said...

I am so glad that the Lymph nodes were negative! What a relief. YOu are all in our constant prayers. Hope all goes well with the surgery on the 30th. YOu are so strong and amazing Bree! If anyone can kick this in the butt it is you!