Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Surgery: Check!

Well, it's done. I had surgery yesterday. I am for the time being cancer free. It is a good feeling. Overall, the pain hasn't been too bad. I am just EXTEMELY tired and have these very uncomfortable, in the way, drains. I have very limited feeling over my right breast, which is very weird. I am bruised and have a crazy awesome incision that is healing well so far. The doctors reported that everything went better than expected. The surgery took about 3 1/2 hours. My tumor appeared to be close to 3 cm large. As far as my surgeon could tell she was able to get cancer free margins around the tumor, but the final pathology testing will determine that for sure. They took 6 lymph nodes: 4 of which were negative for cancer, and the 2 others were sent off for more indepth pathology testing. These tumor and lymph node pathology results should be back in approximately 1 week and will determine whether I need radiation treatment or not. Here's to crossing our fingers that I don't need radiation.


I am now home and boy does it feel good. The kids did great with Grandma Janet and seemed to understand that Mommy didn't feel good. They snuggled me very gently. Oh how I love those two! My Mom is staying with me for the week to help. Oh, how much I love her and how grateful I am to have her in my life. I'm such a lucky girl. I have so much love and support from family, friends, church, and my sweet husband. With a support system like this why shouldn't I have cancer. I have been blessed.

My breast doesn't look as bad as I had expected. They were able to save my nipple (sorry if this is too explicit), but it made the emotional shock a lot easier to look down and see it there. The drains make it look bumpy and the skin is sagging a little due to not having breast tissue there. I have an expander in the breast that will slowly stretch my pec muscle to allow for the implant to be placed in several months. It is definitely smaller than my other breast at the moment, but looks much better than I had expected. The worst part right now is the drains. Boy are they a pain in the hinny!


Here's some pics from yesterday and today:


Waiting before Surgery


Dr. Neumayer prepping for my Radioactive Injection


Saying "Aaahh" for the AnesthesiologistReady to Go!



Just Made it to My Room after Surgery


The View from my Room



Earlier this Morning

Ready to Go Home


A Motto to Live By

6 comments:

serra said...

looking good bree! glad we've got this show on the road so it can end :) time to hunker down and experience the ride....

Michelle C said...

Glad you made it through it so well. Glad you've got such a great support system around you. Wish we were part of it on the closer end.

Stacey said...

You look great! I can't believe you are blogging again already! You are amazing! Thank you for sharing...you are in inspiration to me, and I'm sure countless other people. I'm so glad you have so many people who love you and take good care of you and your family!

Jana said...

You are absolutely amazing! I admire you so much, thanks for sharing, I know it must be incredibly hard. I find so much strength through you! Wishing you the very best!!

Josie said...

Keep up the good work bree! The photos remind me when I was there for my husband treatments. I loved the tile with the cancer peom too. I am thinking about making one for our home.

The Smith's said...

You sure do make a surgery gown look good! I'm so so so glad that everything went better than expected! Thanks for letting us all in our your experience. I always knew you were amazing but you just keep impressing me! Here's to a speedy recovery and prayers that radiation isn't necessary! Loves!